If you live in Edinburgh and looking for a loft conversion specialist then you are on the correct page.
You may be looking to do a loft conversion for the following reasons:
- Creating additional space (bedroom, bathroom etc)
- Walk in wardrobe
- Kids play area
The ideas are endless!
If you say yes to one of the above then you should look at a loft conversion.
Finding a loft conversion specialist in Edinburgh may be difficult as there are various contractors out there however hopefully we can educate you to help you make a decision.
What is a loft?
‘A loft is a room or space directly under the roof of a house or other building, used for accommodation or storage’
Loft conversions are a great way to make use of the space you already have in your home, whether you want an office, gym, spare bedroom or more storage space and we can bring your attic to life by creating beautiful ideas with you and our architect – Stuart Hannah from Architecture Design Development
When considering a loft conversion it is important to ask the right questions which are crucial to the process.
Do I Need Building Regulations Approval For A Loft Conversion
Like any new building work or significant home alteration, a loft conversion will require Building regulations approval ensure safety measures are in place.
Regulations will be applied to make sure:
- Structural strength of floor is sufficient – the new floor joists must support the weight of the new room.
- The stability of the roof including existing roof is not endangered
- Safe escape from fife – it is essential that the new room has fire resistant doors and a smoke alarm that is hard wired to the mains
- Safely designed stairs to the new floor – following on from fire safety, the new room must also have a suitable stairway to enable escape from fire and also general access to it. A simple ladder into the room is not enough.
- Reasonable insulation between the conversions and room below
Do I Require Planning Permission For A Loft Conversion?
The vast majority of loft conversions fall within permitted development and do not require planning permission however you must follow certain criteria;
- No extension is to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
- Materials are designed to be similar to the existing house.
- The roof enlargement cannot overhang the outer face of the wall of the original house
A loft conversion can either be simple and straightforward or more complicated. This all depends on the type of conversion you require and on the structural stability of the loft its self.
What Are The Different Types Of Loft Conversions?
Whilst there are many different types of loft conversion, the two main types which will be discussed below are Velux and Dormer:
Velux Loft Conversion
Velux is generally the easiest and most economical to do as the structural alterations will be kept to a minimum and work will be done to the existing shell of the loft. A Velux conversion does not generally need planning permission.
A Velux conversion is done by adding a window to the existing roof letting in natural light. This can be done if their is adequate headroom and there is no need to raise the height of the roof.
Dormer Loft Conversion
A Dormer conversion is more expensive and is likely to to require planning permission however, a Dormer loft will create more useable floorspace and give better headroom. The rafters are cut and an extension will be fitted into the roof space giving the room a higher ceiling. A Dormer can be constructed off site and craned into position.
What Are Loft Conversion Benefits
There are many benefits to a loft conversion, however here are some of the below:
- Can add value to your home – recent research shows added 20% value to the property – WOW
- Create new rooms to avoid having to move house so you have the cost of moving house saved.
- Added space to your property – this goes without saying.
- Affordable – A loft conversion is a great way to add space without the cost of an extension.
A successful loft conversion is a definite asset to your home but if done poorly, this can devalue your property and compromise the structural integrity of your home.
LC Joinery Roofing and Building Work will strive to make your conversion a positive and stress free experience.
If you are thinking about a conversion and want to discuss which type would best fit your home and budget get in touch with us today!