There are many benefits to using gravel for your driveways and paths. Gravel is an excellent choice for the environmentally conscious homeowners. It’s affordable, durable, easy to maintain and especially great for larger areas. If you’re thinking about installing a new driveway, here are 10 reasons why gravel should be at the top of your list!
- Gravel driveways are one of the most affordable driveway options available. Compared to other materials like asphalt or concrete, the installation cost is much lower. The cheapest types of gravel are crushed shells, crushed concrete, slate chips, recycled asphalt, and pea gravel.
- They are easy to install. The soil under the gravel needs to be well drained, strong and cleared from any organic materials like tree roots or grass. One of the biggest mistakes is building a driveway on top of soft topsoil that’s filled with organic debris. A geotextile fabric under the gravel layer helps to supress weeds and stop the gravel itself from disappearing into the ground.
- They are durable and can withstand even the harshest weather. Properly designed and installed gravel driveway can last for decades. All you need to do is top up the gravel every now and then. A border will prevent gravel from spreading.
- Gravel driveways are easy to maintain and don’t require much upkeep. The occasional weeding is pretty much all that is needed.
- They add value to your home and increase curb appeal.
- Gravel driveways are environmentally friendly. They help to reduce soil erosion by slowing down rainwater runoff. Gravel also provides good drainage and can help reduce flooding on your property.
- Gravel driveways come in a variety of colours. You can choose the colour pallet that best compliments your property. Choose from shades of white, grey, red or brown.
- They are slip resistant. The rough surface provides more grip compared to most other materials, especially tiles and bricks.
- Gravel is versatile. It can be used for driveways and paths, borders, flower beds, rockeries and water features. Gravel isn’t suitable for steep slopes, as it’s unlikely to stay in place.
- Gravel looks great and adds visual interest. A gravel driveway adds a touch of rustic charm to your home and landscape. Use it to brighten up dark or shady areas in your garden.
If you’re looking for an affordable, easy to maintain, and durable driveway option, gravel is a great choice. At LC Joinery, we instal driveways around central Scotland, so get in touch for more info or a free estimate. All our work is guaranteed, and we are a member of the Guild of Master Craftsmen, the Federation of Master Builders, the Construction Skills Certificate Scheme, and is a Which? Trusted Trader and a licensed asbestos removal contractor. Check out our portfolio here.
Call LC Joinery at 01592 747 047 or email us at email@example.com.