Garage roof repairs in Edinburgh are very common at this time of year.
At LC Joinery and Roofing, we only work with the most reputable and trusted suppliers, renowned for providing excellence to our clients, that’s why we use Single Ply or Felt.
But what is the difference?
Garage Roof Repairs Edinburgh: Single Ply Roofing
What is a single ply membrane?
In short any roof covering that can make a flat roof waterproof in one layer, unlike roofing felt with its 3 layer system for instance.
This can include EPDM rubber and fibreglass, PVC , TPO, TPE and PIB.
Firstly these membranes generally share some desirable traits.
They are lightweight, flexible, resistant to UV and micro organisms, handle extreme weather and temperature changes, fire resistant and self extinguishing, show good chemical resistance, are more aesthetically pleasing (compared to torch on felt) and can be very environmentally friendly.
This has made these types of roof very popular on commercial premises and with architects as you can imagine.
1. It is vapour permeable so it will not blister, and it does not expand or contract with weather conditions. This means that cracks and weak spots don’t have a chance to form.
2. It is a very strong, stable waterproof material that is highly resistant to UV rays, and typical British weather conditions. Once again, this means that the integrity of the roof surface is preserved.
3. It has been widely used over many years for commercial roofing because office blocks and warehouses need maintenance free roofs that will last a very long time. Just think of how well this material could work for your home roof!
4. All laps and joints are permanently welded, the roofing membrane is secured to the roof structure, the storm resistant roof edges are fusion welded, and mechanically fixed, and the wall joint won’t crack or fall out like mortar, lead or sealant. This means that the roof can be totally secured against wind and weather, and the traditional weak points of the roof can be just as strong and secure as any other area of it.
5. At the end of its long life – typically in excess of 30 years – the material is recyclable, so single ply roofing is the right choice for our environment as well as your home.
Garage Roof Repairs Edinburgh: Firestone – EPDM Rubber Roofing
For over 100 years, Firestone have been the gold standard in rubber technology for the roofing industry.
With the ability to guarantee the protection of your roof for up to 25 years, EPDM rubber roofing offer the definitive waterproof solution that you need.
Our customers have been protected from leaks and any ongoing maintenance due to the simplicity of Firestone’s innovative technology.
We don’t only protect you from heavy rain. The EPDM rubber roofing can react to any structural movements and fluctuations in temperature. You’ll be protected against temperatures up to -45°C, with the rubber expanding up to 300%. Further evidence that the technology in Firestone’s EPDM rubber roofing can protect you from any surprise costs in the future.
Unlike other types of roofing, EPDM rubber roofing requires little to no maintenance. The ideal solution for those who don’t want to have workmen servicing their roof every other year.
That’s not all as the EPDM rubber is entirely inert, making it friendly to the environment during its manufacture. In today’s climate, it’s the perfect choice for replacing either PVC or felt on large, modern roofs.
The rubber is available in a range of different colours to match the look and feel of your property.
Our aim is to make sure that you’re completely happy with the finished product, from its structural integrity – to how it looks.
When you look at the before and after pictures of roofs treated with EPDM rubber, you’ll be blown away with the difference.
Summary of Single Ply VS Felt
Single ply membrane like PVC, TPO, TPE, & PIB – Positives – lightweight, flexible, pleasant to look at, handles slopes and large areas, fairly durable, can be designed to mimick lead roofing (without the risk of theft) and fire resistant – Negatives – Costs more to install than other flat roof systems in a domestic setting, may not suit regular footfall, or complex details.
Felt roof – Positives – low cost, proven results, suits roofs of any size – Negatives – not suitable for regular foot fall, requires heat to install, not DIY friendly, suffers from a poor reputation from older systems.
Garage Roof Repairs Edinburgh
If you have a problem with your garage roof and it is either single ply or felt then get in touch with us today.
Our team can repair or replace garage roofs throughout Edinburgh.